Sunday, October 11, 2015

Nobody Likes The Dentist...

Hey guys, welcome to my fourth blog! This week's post is going to be a bit out of the ordinary, because it based on my experience at the dentist...
That word.... "dentist," strikes fear into the heart of even the strongest man. But not me, I wasn't one bit nervous, even though I had to get one of my teeth extracted. I walked in to the waiting room, listening to music, patiently waiting for my named to be called. Finally, after about an hour later, a lady called my name. She guided me through the rooms and made me sit down on the procedural chair. She told me that I had to wait around 15 minutes for the "instruments to be sterilized". Those few words sent a chill through the back of my spine. I was immediately nervous. After about 15 minutes, two dentist gently place a pack of tools labeled, "surgical" on the table next to me. My legs slowly started to shiver in fear. One of the dentist then sat down next to me with a three inch syringe needle and said, "this is the anesthesia, to make you numb." I nodded casually, but in my head I was terrified. I hate needles. I hate shots and everything that has to do with shots. She slowly inserted the needle in my inner cheek. I felt it, a small, annoying, but painful pinch. She left the needle in my cheek for a few more seconds, then pulled it out. But it wasn't over yet. She got a fresh new syringe and told me that she had to inject more into my gum. I clenched my fists and squeezed my toes, feeling really tense. She again, slowly inserted the needle into my jaw and left it in my gum for a few seconds. The feeling I felt was nothing but an annoyance. It made me want to jump out of my seat and scratch my gum. Finally, she pulled the needle out of my gum.
She told me that I had to wait a few minutes for the numbing to kick in. It was only a matter of minutes when I couldn't feel half of my face. I tried speaking but couldn't, because I couldn't feel my tongue. After ten minutes, the real action was about to begin.
The doctors asked me if I was numb. I nodded because I couldn't talk. They warned that I would feel a lot of pressure on my tooth and that it might hurt a little bit. I was prepared to deal with the pain. They open the surgical pack and got two screwdriver-looking tools. She got what looked like a flathead screwdriver and stuck it in between my teeth. She started to twist it more and more. It was so excruciatingly painful. I thought that the numbing would help, but it barely did. I felt every bit of it. After twisting my tooth, she got a dull tool and started to push my tooth down. This was even more painful. It felt like my whole jaw would come break off. Finally, she got  a pair of plier looking tools and started to pull my tooth. And just like that, it was out. My mouth was bloody, sore and in so much pain. They stuffed gauze into my mouth in order to stop the bleeding. The lady said that I couldn't eat anything hard or warm, and said I could go finally home.
In conclusion, no matter how fearless you think you are, the dentist will always be one of your greatest fears...

1 comment:

  1. I agree, even though I have not really had a bad experience with the dentist. I really like how descriptive you were in your blog.

    ReplyDelete